Limited Run Games is opening a retro-themed physical game store

Editor’s review: Limited Run Games, an American video game distributor specializing in the release of digital games in physical form, is opening its first-ever physical retail store. It might seem like a dicey proposition in the age of digital distribution and the pandemic, but nostalgia is one hell of a drug.

Limited Edition CEO Josh Fairhurst said in an interview with Polygon that since opening online in 2015, they’ve been dreaming of trying their hand at a physical store. “The [are] there are definitely stores left, but that’s nothing like the glory days of having a Babbage’s, Software Etc, FuncoLand and an electronics store in every town,” Fairhurst added.

The store is slated to open in April in Cary, North Carolina at the MacGregor Village mall. It is inspired by the video stores and department stores of the 80s and 90s, with approximately 75% of the products offered coming directly from Limited Run. The remaining 25% of inventory will be games, vinyl soundtracks, trading cards, books, and merchandise from other publishers and distributors.

Fairhurst told Polygon that the store opening took longer than expected, so they held an event in the parking lot last summer. Over 1,000 people showed up to support the store, giving Fairhurst confidence that the store will be a success once it opens.

If the boutique is to be a success, Fairhurst said he would eventually like to have a West Coast presence – preferably in the bar district. Beyond that, an international expansion with a presence in Europe and Japan would also be interesting.